I’ve been working on my second series of wood blocks for the Art*O*Mat the last few weeks. I’m using the blocks as an idea generation source this time around. I started with six rough sketches based on the words invent; grow,fly, glow, protect and see (somewhere along the way fly became float). Then I sketched and collaged onto the prepped blocks based on my rough sketch, knowing I’d be printing one semi-transparent color on top of each block. This way, each block is unique while part of the six themes. I’m seeing interesting patterns and overlapping develop during the process that I hope to take into larger print pieces later on. You can see some examples of the blocks in the 1st layer state below.
This morning I treated each block with polyurethane and while I was doing that I added random newspaper scraps with images and/or phrases to some blocks that didn’t seem quite finished yet. The poly made the paper semi-transparent, making both sides of the paper readable and the original text more obscure, which I liked the effect of as well. That somewhat dadaesque exercise turned out to be one of my favorite parts of the project. It reminded me a little of my Spam Poetry project awhile back and I do think some of the phrases I found and used will end up in future work. I’ll share some of the final pieces soon, once they’ve dried and I’m sure they are finished and ready to pack and deliver to Artists In Cellophane.